Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Didn't want to like it and don't - because I LOVE IT!

Days After I Buy This Footloose

Footloose

I just skimmed the one-star reviews decrying the messing with of a classic. When I rented this I was skeptical and thought I was going to be among that group as I was just a very young - under 21 - adult for the first go-around. I've seen what Hollywood can do to a classic TV show like Dukes of Hazzard and also The Brady Bunch and some remakes of other movies have been less than decent. So I was not about to plunk down my hard-earned at Walmart money to see basically a "High School Musical" or "Glee" dumb-down of this in the theater.
I have to say that I was impressed at the faithfulness this rework exercised - like a great cover of a favorite song. While the time-frame of the story is set in the present time, it's the same. I like how they revisit some of the original music of the 1984 but give it a new twist. The acoustic rendition of "Holding Out For A Hero" was superb. Also I like a few of the changes for some of the scenes such as the racing of the school buses in place of the chicken game with the farm tractors, the dance at the drive-in instead of the hamburger joint and the dance lesson scenes for the cowboy kid were adorable. Making changes like these does not diminish the movie in anyway, there is not need to make a carbon copy, no more than Whitney trying to make a country version of "I Will Always Love You", her rendition captures the spirit of that song.
While the original movie is still and always will be my classic, there are some elements that give this version an advantage over the original:

The Opening: The tragic car wreck and what led up to it and the subsequent laws that were passed as a result. Here we see that the laws being passed in the wake of the tragedy came from love and genuine concern for the well-being of the adolescents from a heart-broken community.

The Court Scene: The concern stemming from the heartbreak from the loss is once again communicated by the preacher when Ren wants to appeal against the no-dancing law. The original movie paints the adults as oppressive and uncaring toward the youth because you don't see that love and concern that spawned the law, also the committee are rather condescending with Ren in the original. In this remake, the preacher sounds empathetic and sensitive to what Ren is asking for. Overall, the court scene in the remake is rendered much better in my opinion.

Preacher/Daughter Showdown Scene: Here we see that the daughter is not merely being a rebel, she - like her mother - are frustrated by him, that because of losing his son he is over doing it in trying to protect her to the point that he is basically smothering her.

Preacher and Ren Scene: Finally Ren's asking the preacher if he can take his daughter to the dance that was going to happen anyway in the neighboring town since Bomont was to remain a no-dance town. Here we see the preacher and the person he considers his enemy beginning to see eye to eye.

I like how this movie - though depicting the typical "teenage rebellion" and showing drinking of alcohol and explicit dancing, I feel it's conveys the message that it isn't espousing such behavior but showing how it can lead to bad consequences - the accident - and that while adolescents may want to "act stupid" as Ren said in the courtroom, there is a way to do it without harming yourself. The movie also - like the original - espouses that parents and adults concerned about adolescents have to find that balance where you can set boundaries to protect them but not so much you are stiffing them and even giving them a reason to fight against you.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Get your Footloose Now!

8 comments:

  1. I can't quite figure out what songs are all in the new version of Footloose and I wanted to get some of them for my iPod. If someone could help me that would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the fall musical this year is Footloose. I'm confident in my acting skills but I don't really sing that well, so I've never actually been in a musical before. Even so, I'm thinking it would be a good experience and I would like to give it a shot. I need a song to audition with (16 bars, obviously.) Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying out for Footloose next week and I'm having a whole lot of trouble finding an 80's pop song (NOT A SHOW TUNE) that will not only be original but will fit my voice. I'm a low mezzo or a high alto. AN 80's POP SONG NOT A SHOW TUNE! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The summer theater group that I have done a few shows with will be holding auditions for Footloose at the end of May. I love this show so I want my audition to rock. I have no idea what song I should sing. I have not audition for a contemporary musical in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my school is putting on Footloose this spring and I want to audition for the part of Willard. But i do not have any idea of what song to sing. Does anyone have any choice ideas? I can sing Baritone to a very high Tenor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In two weeks, I am going to an audition for Pittsburgh Musical Theater, which is doing Footloose. I really need suggestions for songs that wouldn't be too too hard, but still show some singing talent. I also have to do a monologue, which I do already have which one I'm doing, but how should I prepare for a monologue? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mtv films has released the first trailer for the remake of the 80's classic Footloose. At 2:03 a song starts playing that plays for the rest of the trailer, i don't know what it is but it's driving me crazy!! it sounds like a great song and any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not talking about the very first one, where they play the song footloose, but the one after that, where the main character dances for the first time. It's in a parking lot, and her dad walks out and sees his hands all over her daughter. I was just wondering what song they play there?

    ReplyDelete